Monday, September 2, 2013

Work and Play....But mostly work

So, last week, well, I guess two weeks ago now, when my mind was still allowed to be off the reservation, my beloved parents came to visit. I'm sure they wish they could have been here an extra week seeing that the weather in Iowa this week is bloody hot with a chance of heat stroke.

My dad spent a lot of time "puttering" around my house. Cleaning, tightening, washing, trimming, cutting, all the wonderful things that dads do for their single home-owner daughters.

My mother put her former teacher hat back on and helped me begin putting my classroom back together. Those bulletin boards don't hang themselves, you know. Nor do the names just appear on every woodland creature accent.

Now, before you go accusing me of making my parents worker bees on their vacation, let me tell you something - they liked it. They loved assisting their beloved first born with needs that arise when one enters the crazy world of home ownership. Dad made countless trips to True Value, and Mom developed onset Carpel Tunnel Syndrome as a result of cutting, laminating, and writing. Poor dear.

So, after days of slave labor, Uncle, Auntie, and myself took Ma and Pa on a ferry ride to Orcas Island. It was well earned "day off".


A perfect day...



My favorite man. His absolute favorite thing to do in the Pacific Northwest is ride the ferry.






There is no other place on earth like the San Juan Islands. Stunningly beautiful.





Waiting in line....ready to drive on...



Just a man on a ferry ride. Feeling like he's in heaven.


Two of my favoritest people in the whole wide world.

 

I miss them already. And not just because I had to do yard work and clean all by myself on Saturday. And a valuable lesson was learned while pushing Mr. Mower. There's a reason people wear walking shoes when mowing the lawn. My beautiful French pedicure is weeping.
 
The things I'll have to learn. All by myself.
 
And now I'm weeping.
 
xoxo
E

3 comments:

  1. YOU MOWED THE LAWN IN FLIP FLOPS??? EMILY JOY! You could have mowed your toes off!!! SHAME ON YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Other Leslie is right! I'm appalled with her at the daredevil way you care for you landscaping! ER's are full of novice home-owners who mowed in their flip-flops. Heed the Leslies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Leslies have taken the words right out of her dad's mouth!
    (please note the correct use of the apostrophe)

    ReplyDelete