Saturday, July 3, 2010

Domestic Barbie likes to jam

Ghetto Barbie got in touch with her domestic side today. Please, hold your applause.

I was left with no choice. It was bound to happen. It was just a matter of time.

You see, when I loaded up the Rega and drove out to Washington 5 long years ago, I not only left my family and friends behind, I also left my mommy's award-winning, mouth-watering, homemade strawberry-rhubarb jam behind. And let me tell you, this jam left me in sugar comas for days.

And then it dawned on me. I missed the sugar coma.

Solution, make strawberry-rhubarb jam. Without my mommy to help me. Oh, the humanity!!

I gathered some friends and we set to work.

Now we weren't messin' around. This life changing jam is a two day process. Once the rhubarb is picked, cleaned, and cut, it must be submerged in an abundant supply of sugar overnight. Therein lies the mystery of the sugar coma.

Come the next morning, Martha Stewart wanna-bes can get to work.

Cook, stir, mash, measure, stir, boil, mash, stir, measure....what a high.









Stefan really over-exerted himself. I'd say he earned his share of ONE jar.


Ta-Da!!! We're all finished! And I hardly broke a sweat. Though I did get a good steam facial from the cooking rhubarb. My pores are hardly visible anymore.

And because I learned my lesson after blogging about one of my mom's other taste bud masterpieces, bing bars, and failed to include a recipe which resulted in rather harsh comments from my 4 readers, I will include a recipe for aforementioned jam. Though I will warn you...prepare to have your world rocked.

"Oh my goodness, this is what Heaven is like" strawberry-rhubarb jam

8 cups chopped rhubarb
6 cups sugar

Mix and let sit overnight.

Cook rhubarb on high. Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes.

Remove from heat. Smash rhubarb.

Stir in 1 large box of strawberry jello and 1 1/2- 2 cups crushed strawberries.

Pour in jars and let stand for 24 hrs before freezing.

*You can also substitute blueberries and 1 package raspberry jello for strawberries. Also a life-changer.


You're welcome.

3 comments:

  1. IMMMMM-pressive!!

    And I observed that Woods Coffee seems to be necessary fuel to keep the jam machine running...

    Also IMMMM-pressive! And just so right...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you posted the recipe there but as you know I AM Doreen's daughter so you will just have to give me a jar :) enough said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got mine cooking! I always have made Grandma Priscilla's with blueberries and rhubarb. LOL

    ReplyDelete