Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Random Rundown

Try to stay with me.

1. I have found a new love. And it comes in a box.

This is Settlers of Catan. And it's changed my life. Settlers of Catan is a trading and building game set in the mythical world of Catan. Players roll dice to determine which resources are generated each round and then must strategically trade those resources with other players to get what they need to build their settlements, cities, and roads. Sound lame? That's what I used to think, too. But then my eyes were opened to the absolute awesomeness that is Settlers of Catan. "Hello, my name is Emily. It's been 3 days since my last game of Settlers." Last weekend, friends and I played on Friday night and Saturday night. And because the stars were all aligned in the mythical sky of Catan, I pulled off a win on Saturday, Game 1. Not so lucky on game 2. That's right, we played two games. It's like Pringles. Once you settle, you can't stop. Looking forward to dominating the mythical world of ore and sheep resources again this weekend.

2. It's football season. Be still my heart. The playground poses a striking resemblance to the Seahawks training camp during the season that is awesomeness. And I have a couple of cherubs who take recess football VERY seriously. Just look at 'em.

Um, did we leave any grass ON the field today boys, or it is all on your clothes? Oxy Clean is a mother's best friend. And did I tell you they take this very seriously? Look at what this little nugget is sporting.

That, my friends, is his playcard. In an iPod arm case. Lord, have mercy. Did you hear that, Real Simple magazine? New uses for old things.

3. We had Pastor's Day at school on Tuesday. It's a big deal, people. When you're seven, a pastor is like God. Imagine having God visit your classroom. Whoa. Here are some First Reformed cherubs and their shepherd, Pastor Ryan.



4. The cherubs have just finished learning about the pond. One of their little projects is creating a pond booklet that includes pictures of what they would find living above, around, in and at the bottom of the pond. This rather simple project has become the talk of social circles. OK, so maybe just one social circle. It all started when a cherub drew a picture of a shark in the pond. A shark. In a pond. Ummm.....ok. Clearly, we need to revisit this particular habitat. Anyway, a friend of mine spotted aforementioned shark and immediately praised the cherub's creativity. I, of course, argued. This led to a rather heated discussion. Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus...you know what I'm saying. We will not see eye to eye on this subject. So, fast forward to the next morning when I send a friendly text to "shark friend" and simply write, "Sharks are not found in ponds." "Shark friend" did his homework, and wasted no time in sending me a picture of this:

His caption? "Creativity Sells".

Are. You. Kidding. Me.

I have no defense. Yet, I will continue to dig my heels in and argue until I'm blue in the face.

5. My hair stylist/waxer/gal pal has been out of town for WEEKS. Ok, so it's only been a few days, but as typical luck would have it, I needed her as soon as she boarded an eastbound airplane. She's back now, and I am over the moon. My eyebrows called; they want their arches back. I'm going to see her tomorrow. Listen for angels singing.

6. Crop ~ Paste ~ Embellish. That's my motto for this weekend. It's going to be a scrapbooking frenzy on Saturday. All day. Can't wait. The best part is remembering all the fun times had by all when the pictures were taken. Except, I have a tendency to never get myself in pictures. Therefore, I find myself asking, "Was I even AT this event or did my camera go stag again?" Note to self: Take more pictures of ME. Wow. That sounds so vain.

7. Second grade quote of the week:

"It's MISS K, not Mrs. K. She's not that old yet."

That makes me feel so much better.

Hope you kept up! Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment