Friday night, some friends of mine were married in Abbotsford, BC. The ceremony was actually at 1:00 that afternoon with the reception beginning at 6:00. Oh, what a blast. Those Canadians know how to throw a party, I tell you. I cannot wait for my brother's wedding in September. He's marrying a Canadian. Though she has really Americanized herself nicely. I really have no idea what wedding shenanigans the future Mrs. Phil Kooistra has up her Canadian sleeve, but I give all impending Canuck shenanigans my blessing. Because as the only sister of the groom, I have a lot of say, you know. I'm kidding, Judes. And I love you. You complete me. And by "me", I mean our family.
Yesterday was the kick-off of Graduation Party Season. See also "Lord have mercy, I'm going to be broke. Why do I know so many seniors!?! Season" I spent most of the day at my pseudo nephew's house.
Ahhh...the face of pure bliss. I think it goes without saying that he's excited about his party. He's actually upset that he has to share 20 pounds of his father's infamous, homemade potato salad with all the guests. Being the loving pseudo auntie that I am, I made sure guests were conservative with their potato salad helpings. And now, Mr. Graduate here, can consume leftover potato salad at every meal. For the next 3 months.
Mr. Graduate is headed to Dordt College next fall. Shudder. I keep telling him that for just 10 more miles, he could be a Red Raider at Northwestern. And he looks better in red. But he still has my blessing. And he'll have his pseudo grandparents, my parents, only 15 miles down the road. Look out, Mom. Sunday lunch will never be the same. It's time to start buying 4 gallons of milk at a time, once again. And you thought those days were over. Ah, Code-Man. Good luck as a Dordt Wart. You'll love it. If I could do any four years over again, it would be my college days. Try not to miss us too much when you're livin' it up in Iowa next year. And don't forget your bug spray. And your snow boots. And your insulated winter coat. And remember, Auntie loves you.
There are more parties this next weekend, however, yours truly will be on an eastbound plane to Iowa. The motherland. The home of mosquitos and inhumane levels of humidity. If that doesn't make you all want to buy your tickets now, I don't know what will.
While visiting the place of my youth I will:
1. Love on Kaydrian
2. Throw my brother and my future-Canadian-turned-American-sister-in-law a couple's shower
3. Shower Kaydrian with kisses
4. Catch up with my highschool girlfriends
5. Smother Kaydrian with hugs
6. Spend a day shopping with my mom
7. Be Nanny-Auntie Em for Kaydrian for 2 days
8. Sort through all of my Israel pictures so people in Iowa can actually look at them
While visiting the place of my youth I will NOT:
1. Leave Kaydrian's side. Ever. You and me baby are stuck like glue.
2. Allow anyone at the shower to leave before all of the punch is gone and gifts have been opened.
3. Pee my pants laughing when I see my girls. This, actually, will probably happen so I should probably move this to the list of things that I'll do....
4. Feel guilty for sleeping in. Until noon.
5. Roll my eyes at my beloved father when he warns me about the dangers of bed sores.
6. Spend any unnecessary time outside without bug spray, sun tan lotion, a mosquito net, and an extra-large bath sheet to wipe the sweat that will undoubtedly be pouring down my body.
And last but CERTAINLY not least....
7. Throw my back out. Lord have mercy, I have pain just thinking about it. Sympathy pains for myself. For those of you who have recently hopped on the Ghetto Barbie mobile, you can read all about my battle with my lower back here. Nothing major. It was only Christmas. The first Christmas with my nephew. The first Christmas with my nephew whom I had never seen.
Speaking of the apple of my eye, just look how he's growing.
Thud. I just died.
Until tomorrow...
Mom wanted me to pass on a message that she's not totally Americanized...she still says eh a lot, spells colour with a u, and over-apologizes for everything....she needs a little work yet eh ;)
ReplyDelete