Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The grass was really greener

I know a place.
Where the grass is really greener.
Warm, wet, and wild.
There must be something in the water.

That Katy Perry is so wise.

She knows.

She knows about being fine, fresh and fierce.

She also knows how to be a complete HOT MESS at a concert where young girls are present, filling their little minds with absolute trash, but let's not get into that right now, ok?

So, this next newsworthy tidbit may come to a complete surprise to you, but I recently turned 30.

Gasp!

I know. But let's move on, shall we?

To commemorate my passage into another decade, six girlfriends and I hit the road. Bound for California.

Our destination?

Well, I guess I already said California, so no suspense there, but our TRUE destination was truly a land of puppies and candy canes. And mice. Large, fully clothed, mice. And princess castles. And a surreal feeling of happiness. Almost as though you're in the happiest place on earth.

Do you really not see where I'm going with this?

Get their faster, people.

We, seven beauties in the prime of our lives, were off to Disneyland.

Perhaps you didn't hear me.

D-I-S-N-E-Y-L-A-N-D.

I was so excited, I was almost left behind. Which would have defeated the entire purpose of the trip since I, the birthday girl, was the reason for the season. The season of SHEER bliss.

When Wednesday, July 20, finally rolled around, we were ready to go. Except four of us worked all day first. But then, we were ready to go! Except then we had to wait a little while for our rental van. Yes. We rented a van. Not just any van, mind you. A Town and Country mini-van. Then, we were ready to go! But then, we HAD to decorate the windows with paint so everyone from the northern border of the United States to the near southern border could share in our elevated excitement. Then, we were ready to go! Except Krystal couldn't find the "sticky thing" that holds the GPS to the window. At this point, we decided that if our Smart phones couldn't do the job of a GPS, then they weren't really that smart. So we gambled. And left without a GPS. And clearly, we did just fine as I'm sitting in the comfort of my home sharing this tale with you all. So we were finally ready to go!

Fast forward through 23 1/2 hours of driving, six rest stops, seven drivers, 165 Disney songs, one Ghetto Barbie "It's-the-middle-of-the-night-and-I-can't-sleep-in-this-blankety-blankety-van" meltdown, 17.5 leg cramps, one In-N-Out meal, and a plethora of snacks and girly-girl conversations........

We. Were. There.

We unpacked.

We sat in the hot tub.

We swam.

We went to bed.

It was 9:27 p.m.

Fast forward 4.8 minutes into my sleeping coma.....

BOOM!

POP!

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!


"WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!"

"ARE WE BEING BOMBED!?!"


No bombs. No, the air conditioner was not on the fritz.

It was these:






The next morning, we rose bright and early and nearly sprinted the half mile down the road to the main gate.

Of D-I-S-N-E-Y-L-A-N-D.

Just wanted you all to remember where exactly we were going.




Dancing through the gates onto Disney's Main Street.


Since we were seven adults with an agenda and no children in tow, we were able to tackle both Disneyland and California Adventure in one day. And when I say "tackle", I mean "run around like crazy people from ride to ride and park to park while giggling like little school girls."

Highlights of the day included:

A record catch. Which was no surprise to me, really. I believe Michael Scott from The Office said it best, "I am a catch. I will not be the one that got away."


Tea time with larger than life teacups.


Flying with Peter Pan. And I don't care if the ride was designed with 5 year-olds in mind. I. LOVED. IT.


The Tower of "I just crapped my pants" Terror.


Spending 6.5 minutes under the sea.




Taking a tour of Sleeping Beauty's castle. I took a special interest in this tour as I currently have a call into Windermere regarding the purchase of aforementioned castle.


An attempted walk-in at the Bibbidy Bobbidy Boutique. There was a six year wait.


A glimpse into life as a petite.


A petite who's always in Teacher Mode. Even on vacation.


A taste of what Harrison Ford must have felt in Indiana Jones.


A jungle cruise with the funniest and most sarcastic tour guide the happiest place on earth has ever seen.


A "walk by" of the cutest baby elephant EVER. *tear* Those ears get me everytime.


Another water cruise underground. In the Caribbean. With pirates.



Swinging from vine to vine in Tarzan's tree house.


A lovely walk down Hollywood Boulevard in California Adventure.

Note: The background shown is in reality a backDROP. Yours truly very nearly walked right into the Land of Embarrassment.

Facetime with the most famous mouse who's ever lived. I may have actually shed tears of joy and elevated happiness on his shoulder.

A shot of the girls in front of my future residence.

An icecream break on Main Street after dark. Note: There is no such thing as carbs after 7:00 p.m. in Disneyland.



"I don't want the public to see the world they live in... I want them to feel they are in another world." ~Walt Disney

Mission accomplished, Walt. A tip of the hat to your creative genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment