This is your Iliotibial Band. Or your IT band, if you will.
Your IT Band is very important. Or so I've been told.
When you run, your IT band is busy working. And for most people, running resembles this:
A wonderful, painless experience through the land of butterflies and rainbows.
When I run, my IT band is also busy working. However, my running resembles this:
ROOOOOOOOOOOOOARRRRR!!!!!
PAIN.
It started last spring. I went to the doctor after finally reaching the point where even walking was a chore after going for a run. I quit running for awhile and picked up the hobby again this summer.
Butterflies.
Rainbows.
Puppies.
Candy canes.
ROAR. Back pain.
What the world?! What is going on?! WHY DO THESE THINGS ALWAYS HAVE TO HAPPEN TO MEEEEEEEEEE!?!? Sobfest 2012. Coming to a hot mess near you.
So for three weeks, I've been battling lower back pain. And unfortunately for three weeks, it's been a losing battle. For me.
Until last night when my IT band, the instigator of my lower back muscle mutiny, finally met its match. That's right. It's all who you know, people. And I know people. And those people know muscles. And my IT band and its legion of lower back muscles finally put down their weapons and surrendered.
For now.
I'm not going to pretend they're gone forever. I wasn't born yesterday. But for now, there is peace on the horizon.
And in six days when I'm cleared to start running again, we'll commence The Battle of the Lower Back.
*sigh*
The things I do for a smaller waistline.



So. BORED. Is it bike safety week yet?
ReplyDelete