Tuesday, June 25, 2013

My summer bucket list may cause me to kick the bucket

Summer is the time to live like there's no tomorrow, people. It's that time of the year where you need to grab your dreams by the tail and swing them around like you just don't care. Wait...that could be throwing your hands in the air. You're not supposed to care when you throw your hands in the air. There is no phrase stating anything regarding grabbing your dreams by the tail, so perhaps you should proceed with caution.

For me, summer is the only time to even allow myself to think about grabbing dreams by the tail. Because it's the only time of year that I have something called "time." If it's not checked off the list by August 22, it's not getting done until next June, folks. 'Tis true.

So, without further ado, here is my bucket list for the summer of the year 2013.

Emily's Summer 2013 Bucket List*

1. Conquer the Grouse Grind

Location: Grouse Mountain, Vancouver, BC

Length of hike: 1. 8 miles
Elevation gain: 2,800 feet
Average time: 1.5 hours
2, 839 steps to the top


 
Gulp. You had me until "steps". I hate steps. Steps were created in the underworld. Steps are what almost brought me face to face with my Maker two years ago. I'm still reeling.
 
Picture it. It was spring of 2011 in Egypt. My leader said "Come, let's go." So I goed....er, went. Except, I went too fast. And it was million degrees outside. And there were a bajillion and one steps. And I was out of shape. If you look closely on the fifth step from the left, you can probably still make out my blood, sweat, and tears. 


It was horrendous, and yet, I'd do it again tomorrow if the opportunity presented itself.


2. Hike Oyster Dome

Location: Bellingham, WA

Stats: Nothing compared to Valley of the Kings or the Grouse Grind, so who cares.


One of the most spectacular views in all of Whatcom County.


3. Read 10 novels

Location: My comfortable leather chair, outside in the sun, on a boat, in the airport, on the airplane, floating in a pool, in my bed.


4. Get 50 shades of the rainbow at the Color Me Rad run

Location: Seattle

This run is solely dependent on a written "pass" from a doctor. And by "doctor", I mean an orthopedic surgeon. Since the "baby got back issues" fiasco in January, I haven't been given full clearance to resume running. So, in the meantime, I'll keep doin' what I've been doin' - trying to back that disc up.

I have little projects planned here and there. Things like:

1. Get a killer tan
2. Work out every day
3. Paint my office chair
4. Begin working on my Egypt/Israel scrapbook. Again.

All of these check list items will somehow, someway, work their way into my already hectic summer schedule. Between nannying, a trip to Iowa, camping with friends, and choosing to be idle on my days off....oh dear. I'd better start getting things on the calendar, people. If it's not on the calendar, it's not getting done. Ever.

Off to schedule a hike,

Bucket List Barbie

* All items on list are subject to a transfer to Summer 2014 Bucket List if I decide that sleeping in and watching reruns of "Will and Grace" and "The Golden Girls" is more important at any given time.

No comments:

Post a Comment