Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Kickball Cup of Coffee

'Twas everyone's favorite time of year.

Kickball time.

And commence the 6th Annual Kooistra-Roosma Kickball Classic!

Now, in the past, we've always played against each other. Second grade versus third grade. We've had some close games. Like, too close. But in the end, my littles have always lost. It's only natural. We're smaller. Weaker. Less pride on the line. We don't have as much to lose, because, well, there's always next year. The year they're very nearly guaranteed a win.

This year, however, my partner in crime and I decided to divide our littles EVENLY. Now, I know what you're thinking. "Nice, Emily. You're just sick of losing so this is your excuse." And to that I say, you're right. Kind of. You see, while third grade is always going to be bigger and stronger, we have always had even numbers to keep Momma Bear Kooistra somewhat tame. Lies. Absolute lies. Momma Bear Kooistra is never tame while the ball is in play. But the numbers were even. And the ratio of boys to girls was even. And the ratio of athletes to kids who'd rather play with the grass was even.

Not so much the case this year. Here were the standings:

Third Grade - 24 littles / 12 girls & 12 boys / 12 very athletic boys

Second Grade - 18 littles / 12 girls & 6 boys / A momma bear teacher who has been forbidden to play by her partner in crime.

So, we mixed it up. Big time. Split right smack dab down the middle. And we got an umpire, so we were official.






It was a fair fight. And fun was had by all. And my friend, Mr. Umpire, kept Momma Bear at bay.

In the end, the green team walked away with a win. Final Score: 11-9. I think. I just know we won.


Showing off "The Kickball Cup"! You know you've arrived when someone at the Central Office screws an old coffee carafe to a trophy base.


The taste of victory. It was a new taste. Something my palette had never experienced. It's sweet. Very, very sweet.


My littles. I love them. Even the littles who wore orange.


My partner in crime. This was the only time I let her touch the trophy. I'll be displaying that monstrosity proudly until next year's game.

 
 
Kickball. It's a big deal, people. Big.
 
xoxo
 
Momma Bear Kooistra
 
 
*** Photo credits to Becky Van Hofwegen. You also know you've arrived when a professional photographer makes an appearance at your game.

No comments:

Post a Comment