All about Dads.
Check out my Pa:
What a handsome devil, huh. I think it's clear where I get my good looks from. It's also pretty clear where I get my nose from.Now I'm not gonna lie, I'm not a daddy's girl. I've never been "daddy's princess", but that's OK, because my dad is still the cheese to my macaroni. The wax to my car. The ketchup to my fries.
My dad has taught me many things over the years.
Like the importance of checking the oil in my car. All the time. Every time we talk on the phone.
Or the importance of taking good care of my car. Regular washings, tire rotations, and filter replacements.
Or the importance of shoveling a sidewalk or mowing the lawn because I'm "young and able". I'm also a girl. With two brothers. Let them do that work, Dad.
I've also learned the importance of choosing just the right gift for my mom whether it be her birthday, Christmas, or Mother's Day. Actually, the lesson learned here is what NOT to buy. And the item that we should NOT buy is a candle. My poor mother and her candles from Dad. I'll never forget the Christmas that my dad gave her a stereo to install under the kitchen cupboards and my brothers and I spent 45 minutes looking for the wick while Dad just sat there shaking his head. Poor Dad.
Most importantly, my dad has taught me the importance of a good work ethic, a respect for authority, and a deep appreciation and respect for my mom. And much like my Grandpa Kooistra, my dad has that quiet, yet unwavering faith. When I look back at my years growing up, I'd say my dad did us proud. Though quiet and somewhat aloof at times, he never let his children stray from the Word. And I don't want to toot my own horn, but I'd say we all turned out pretty darn well. So, thanks Dad.
Thanks for being strict.
Thanks for not letting me speak disrespectfully to Mom.
Thanks for washing my car every Saturday.
Thanks for taking us over to Grandpa and Grandma's house regularly so we could learn to appreciate the value of family.
Thanks for the many hours we made you sit through concert, after concert, after concert in high school and college.
Thanks for your constant encouragement and the freedom you gave me to choose where I wanted to teach. Even though I knew all along you were pushing for Lynden. Really hard.
Thanks for looking like you really love me in this picture:

It's OK. I know how much you wanted to get back on that ferry.
Happy Father's Day, Dad!
I love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment