This past weekend, I had the pleasure of spending 48 hours with a small army of junior high kiddos. It was FRC's annual Jr. JAM Winter Blast weekend. Rather than head up the mountain to go snowboarding, the kiddos voted on a weekend at Great Wolf Lodge.
Oh glory be! This was tremendous! I could spend the ENTIRE weekend in sweats! With an occasional change into my swimming suit, of course. In February. Six months since my epidermis has seen any sun. Awesome.
A desperate need for a spray tan and shaved legs aside, I was beyond pumped. I'd heard rave reviews about the wolf lodge that is great. It was bound to live up to my expectations. The website itself claims "each moment was designed for maximum fun" and that my Great Wolf adventure will have me "howling" for more.
What the website failed to mention, however, is that the Howling Tornado slide will also have me howling for Jesus to come quickly.
Here's a look at the tube of insanity from the outside:
And here's a look at the "tube escalator" that carries the tubes to the very top where passengers embark on their deadly quest. If you look closely, you can see me vomiting off the side of the railing at the top. Kidding. It was another leader. Kidding again. Or am I?
The end. The place where passengers will be deposited. If they make it out alive.
But first, they must make it through this:
Now, I realize that to an untrained eye, this picture looks innocent enough. However, what this picture fails to illustrate is A.) The drop off INTO the funnel; B.) The sheer magnitude of the water's force as the tube is yanked back an forth through the funnel; and C.) Four female youth leaders hanging on for dear life, prepared to meet their Creator.
"Um, has anyone seen ANY of the female leaders? We haven't seen them in hours!?"
No fear, my little Tweens. We made it out.
And it was such an adrenaline rush, that two of us went back on. This time with two eighth grade boys. Two eighth grade boys who now know the definition of "hysterical female". Times two.
And then I went to take a nap.
It was an amazing weekend. We spent time in the Word. We spent time in worship. There's nothing more fulfilling as a youth leader than watching young teens surrending their hearts over to their Lord and Savior during a time of worship. They stood with arms high and hearts abandoned. In awe of the One who gave it ALL.
Sunday morning, after our last session, we packed up and hit the road; ready to cheer on those New York Giants.
But first, four young ladies and their sassy leader had to hit up Starbucks.
Look how happy they all look. It's as if they don't yet know they'll be riding home with the same eighth grade boys who teased them mercilessly on the way down.
And their leader will just smile and nod; knowing FULL WELL that come high school, those same boys will be looking at these same girls in a WHOLE new light.
Giggle.
I love it.





Did I seriously go on that water slide??? No wonder I was so terrified that looks awful! Never again folks never again. I had my eyes closed the entire time.
ReplyDelete