Sunday, September 30, 2012

Miss {5}K

Once upon a time, there lived a Ghetto Barbie who made a vow to her readers that she would be a runner. You can read that vow of humiliation here: Polar bears can run, too.  
 
Then, she realized it was too hard. So she quit.
 
Later, Ghetto Barbie became one with a treadmill and began the agonizing running process all over again.
 
Things began to look up. What once seemed impossible was now within the realm of possibility.
 
Or was it?
 
Nope. Hip pain. Major hip pain. So Ghetto Barbie quit again.
 
Then came July and with the heat of the summer, also came a new workout regimen at school. And little did Ghetto Barbie realize how much strength she was actually gaining.
 
Until two weeks ago. When Ghetto Barbie, along with another crazy counterpart, got a wild hair and decided to register for the Bellingham Bay 5K.
 
*** Fast forward through two weeks, a back muscle mutiny, and a transition out of third person to first person...***
 
Yep. It's true. I, Ghetto Barbie, am going to run a 5K. Correction: I, Ghetto Barbie, RAN a 5K.
 
It all began at 5:30 this morning. My partner-in-crime and running partner, Sarah, picked me up shortly after 6:00, we met our other gal-pal, Emily, at Hinote's Corner and were on our way. We were plenty early, so we had plenty of time to stretch, walk around, stretch, get nervous, use the bathroom six times, and stretch some more. All while trying to stay warm.
 
 
It was SO. COLD.  
 
*** Fast forward through the starting gun, finding a good pace amongst hundreds of people, and a breathtaking run along Bellingham Bay... ***


We did it!!!! More importantly, we ran it. Start to finish. And I didn't pass out on a curb half way to the finish line.

As we ran along the trail, people began saying, "You're almost done!" I found that as frustrating as much as encouraging. I wanted specifics. When people say "almost done", what does that mean!? Do we have half a mile left? A quarter of a mile? Talk to me in laps, people. "You have one and a half laps left to go, girl!"

About the time I was ready to ask a bystander just how much further we had yet to go, we rounded a corner and there it was - the big, blue, glorious FINISH LINE.

YES!!! WE DID IT!!! SPRINT! SPRINT!


I could not have done it without this girl. She was my number one supporter, encourager, cheerleader, nurse when I was flat on my back, and the best running partner a girl could ask for. Looking forward to running many more races; big and small, with this pretty girl.

We had some half marathoner fans at the finish line. It was so fun hanging out with them before their race.


And speaking of their race...they're off! These front of the pack people are die hards. They were warming up with sprints. Yes, sprints. Are you kidding me?! I've found that sprints are more productive as a cool down. Um, no. I don't think that at all.

 
Here comes my girl!
 
 
Blurry photo due to tears behind the camera. Yes, I cried. I was SO proud of her. She's worked so hard, and goodness knows, I have no control over my tear ducts when it comes to anything joyful or sad. So I basically am one hot mess all the time.
 
And here comes my other girl!
 

This wasn't her first rodeo. She's "one of those". You know, the girl who runs half marathons because she can. I envy her. But not as much as I'm inspired by her. More tears...


So, SO proud of you girls. I want to be just like you when I grow up.

It was an amazing day. Goals were reached.  Impossibles became possibles. And I discovered that Bayou on Bay doesn't only make an amazing po' boy sandwich, but an amazing egg oscar for breakfast as well. That place can do no wrong in my eyes.

And now if you'll excuse me, I need to stretch my back again and drink another 24 ounces of water before bedtime.

xoxo

Running Barbie (Coming to stores soon. She's wearing yoga pants and a Nike dri-fit jacket. She's legit, people.)

4 comments:

  1. Way to go girl.....what an awesome feeling to accomplish something like this!!! You Rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now I'm tearing up. I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO PROUD of you!! And you thought you were just an "athletic supporter"!! :-) mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it's just a little bit hard to rejoice with those who rejoice. As the Running Craze has overtaken the population of Lynden, I comforted myself that at least I knew ONE person who would not succumb -- but alas, now I am alone...Well,me and the polar bear...
    But I am happy for you and your accomplishment, and only slightly disgusted that you were able to complete said feat after a week that would have knocked out someone of lesser will...
    Yep -- that's great...yep,you go girl...I am happy for ya.
    Really...

    ReplyDelete