Wednesday, March 27, 2013

An Eternal Investment

Last week Saturday night, I got myself gussied up to attend the Lynden Christian School dinner-auction.

One word: Wow. And intense. And humbling.

So really, three words.

I was asked to write an entry for LC's school blog about my experience. Now, since it was published on the school website, I didn't care to include all the juicy details. Like, how dangerously high my blood pressure really was. Or how sweaty my armpits and hands were. And since I'm attaching the post I wrote for LC's blog, I guess you folks won't get to read about that either. But just know, I was a mess. A hot, sweaty, flushed, mess. A hot, sweaty, flushed mess with a dangerously high heart rate.

An Eternal Investment

I remember the first time I bought a pair of Ugg boots. My mother and I were spending the afternoon shopping at the Empire Mall in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. That’s where we did most of our “city” shopping.  And it was an entire afternoon of shopping. As residents of a small town in Northwest Iowa, the nearest city was an hour’s drive away. Therefore, one did not simply make a “quick trip” to the mall. You planned. You made your list. Then, you conquered. Lord only knows when you’d make the long trek to Minnehaha County again.

            So, there I was; standing in Younkers. Staring at the most beautiful boots I’d ever seen. I’d heard of them. I’d seen them grace the pages of US Magazine. Supposedly, they were the best sheepskin boots around. There was really only one way to find out. I checked the price tag. Oh, my stars! $120 for a pair of ankle boots?! You’ve got to be kidding me?! This was out of the question. I can’t spend that kind of money on a pair of boots. What if I never wear them? What if they’re not comfortable? What if I trip and fall in a mud puddle and my boots break my fall? IN the mud puddle?  No, Emily. Put them down.

            At least that’s what my mind told me to do. My heart was singing a different song. Hey, I had worked hard that summer! I deserved something for myself! So, I bought them. And I wore those suckers for six years before it was time to upgrade to another pair. I’d say that was a good investment.

            This past weekend, I was reminded of another investment. Except this time, the investment was in something far more valuable than a pair of boots.           

            Every two years, Lynden Christian School holds a dinner and an auction fundraiser. The money raised during the evening is used for things that may often be difficult to otherwise include in the yearly budget. Things like new playground equipment, or a new school bus. Last year, auction attendees were given the opportunity to pour into our Tuition Assistance Fund, allowing families who may be in financial need the opportunity to attend Lynden Christian. This year, over $43,000 was raised for the Special Academic Services program. This gives the hope of inclusion to families with children who may have special academic needs and may not have been able to attend Lynden Christian in the past. Students and staff alike are blessed by the money that is given.

            This was my first year attending the auction. In years’ past, I was perfectly content creating a class project for the auction. I was also perfectly content to listen on speaker phone during the “second grade treasure” portion of the live auction. This year, however, things took a turn, and for the better. Some dear friends had an extra seat at their table, so I agreed to attend.

First, let’s just get this out of the way, shall we? Auctions are intense! There’s a copious amount of hovering, pacing, pouncing, sweating, and fainting. OK, so nobody fainted, but my blood pressure was dangerously high. Had there been a paper bag available for bidding, I’d have bid that thing way up!

            Following the silent auctions, dinner, and the dessert dash, was the highly anticipated live auction. I could not have even imagined what I was about to witness. Numbers being raised left and right. People paying hundreds, even thousands, of dollars above the actual retail value of items. Now, I realize this is what happens at auctions, especially fundraiser auctions, but to see it happening before my very eyes? I sat there in awe. My awe turned to admiration, and my admiration, to appreciation. I was humbled by the generosity that seemed to sweep through the room.

            I love teaching second grade at Lynden Christian School. Every day, I get to witness, first hand, the work that our Lord and Savior is doing in the hearts and minds of our little ones. I’ve heard it said that it takes a village to raise a child. Well, I believe it takes a village to teach a child. Lynden Christian School has made a covenant with parents and the church to teach the children God has entrusted to us to seek the heart of Him. We teach the whole child – mind, body, and soul – not to only learn and study the Message, but to go out and BE the Message.

            In closing, to all those who blessed Lynden Christian School with a financial gift at the auction, on behalf of LC’s teachers and students, I say THANK YOU. Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedules to come to the auction. Thank you for buying something that perhaps you don’t even need for the benefit of our school. Most importantly, THANK YOU for your investment in the hearts of our children, an investment that will far outlive the lifetime of any pair of boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment