Monday, February 8, 2010

Poker for Dummies

My friends and I are avid gamers. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. We laugh, we cry, we fight, we argue until we're blue in the face, we threaten, and when all is said and done, we love each other.

Friday night we all got together for a night of games. I came dressed in full body armor; a lesson learned from our last get-together in which I left with more bruises than friends. Kidding. Sort of.

The game of choice on this fine evening? Poker. Texas Hold 'em style. And since we play with no actual money at all, it gets incredibly intense.

The first game of the evening was guy heavy. We ladies did what we do best and sat around while enjoying some healthy girl-talk.

The second game was a good mix of guys and gals. You could have cut the tension with a knife. Is Ryan fibbing? Is that really his poker face? Lady Gaga would be saddened. Do I stay or should I fold? What are the chances that the fifth card that's "burned and turned" will be a '10', because that would be AWESOME!" Drat! I should have stayed! You know, simple thoughts like that.

The third game of the evening, proved to be the true test of friendship, as we attempted to teach two newbies the logistics of poker. Lord, have mercy. Talk about patience. And understanding. And internal rage.

Here are some pics...in the order they were taken during the third, AND FINAL, game of the evening:


"Hahahahahahahaha...isn't poker funny?!"

NO! It's not! Just make up your mind already!!


And yet, the hysteric laughter continues.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the table...


Crabby Pants 1 and Crabby Pants Dos.


Jessie decided to spend the long wait recreating the Tower of Babel.

Finally, we managed to get Darrin in on the action so he could assist the newbies and keep the game going faster than the record setting snail's pace that we had been going before.

Aaaaaaand....winner, winner, chicken dinner. I couldn't believe it. They actually won a hand. A hand, people. Not the entire game. That would have been a catastrophy. And also a miracle. A modern-day miracle.


It was a good time. Fun had by all. And the poker newbies learned a new lesson: You gotta know when to hold 'em. Know when to fold 'em. Know when to walk away. Know when to run.

Priceless advice.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment