Sunday, January 2, 2011

Love Letter To Denver

Dear Denver International Airport,

It is with great joy that I write this letter. Every year during the busy Christmas season, I frequent your B concourse twice during a trip to and from Iowa. Each year, I have found myself incredibly frustrated with inopportune delays. However, this year, you seemed to have gotten your poop in a group, and I was thrilled to be on board both planes within 30 minutes of my original time of departure. I don't know who's running that place over there, but a tip of the hat to you, kind sir. Or ma'am.

I would like to take this time to share with you some lessons your airport has taught me over the years.

1. An airport cannot have too many bathrooms. I appreciate the strategic placement of a ladies' room every 250 feet.

2. I do not, however, appreciate the placement of Starbucks. There are only 2 Starbucks' in the entire B concourse and they are BOTH on the same end. Within 200 feet of each other. They're not bathrooms. They need to be spread out.

3. Moving walkways are a God-send. While I don't mind walking without the assistance of a moving belt beneath me, it's nice to sometimes just relax and enjoy the ride. And not trip over the step at the end of the walkway. Perhaps the volumn on the pre-recorded "The walkway is now ending. Please watch your step." reminder needs to be turned up a few notches? Thank you, kindly.

4. Denver is a great airport to sleep in. Naps only. I do not wish to ever learn if the same goes for cancelled flights resulting in a slumber party with 20,000 other people.

5. People traveling through Denver are usually nice and non-judgemental. Take this story for example: On my way back to Seattle just 4 days ago, I had a short layover in Denver. Due to my recent bout with my lower back, I wanted to sit as little as possible when NOT on a plane. Therefore, I decided to lay on my back to give it a rest. Being the smart traveler that I am, I had packed a change of clothes in my carry-on. I opened my suitcase, grabbed my Northwestern College hoodie and pulled. Hard. Out came my sweatshirt. And out flew a pair of clean undergarments. Into the flow of foot traffic. Good. Lord. How embarrassing. Lucky for me, hardly anyone sitting around me noticed. The poor schmuck making his way to his next flight, however, was very nearly knocked out by a pair of Victoria's Secret ladies' intimates.

6. I've also learned that I can move faster than a speeding bullet if the need should arise. See #5.

7. A majority of people traveling dress for comfort. Jeans, sweatshirts, yoga pants, t-shirts, tennis shoes, Ugg boots, you get the idea. Occasionally, there will be a passenger who will have missed her calling to be a Vegas show-girl, and instead choose to travel to Seattle. I hope she paid for extra seats, because the "girls" that accompanied her obviously wanted their own space.

8. I've learned that snow can't stop you, Denver. Unlike some cities, (ahem...Seattle!) you are prepared for snow. I've attached some photos of my recent trip for your viewing pleasure.





9. Contrary to popular belief, orange is not the color of generic de-icer. Though we experienced some nauseating turbulence on our way through the snowstorm, we came out on top, ice free. We did not turn into a giant ice-cube and plummet into the Rocky Mountains. Sorry. My mind has a tendency to get away from me sometimes.

So thank you, Denver. I have high hopes for our next trip together. And if you could work on getting another Starbucks somewhere, say, around TCBY, I can assure you it would be most appreciated.

Love,

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment