Monday, October 31, 2011

Two dice and a witch

Happy Halloween, folks.

There, I said it. That's about as excited as I get for Halloween.

Don't get me wrong, back in the day, I was ALL over the Halloween thing. Until junior high when I was too old to go trick or treating.

Then I got to college and my roomie and I would dress up just for kicks and giggles. Especially if we both worked at Wally-World that evening. That's Wal-Mart for all you folks who are still trying to figure out what Wally-World is. Except our Wal-Mart was nice. Almost classy. The Wal-Mart in Sioux Center, IA was not frequented by "people of Wal-Mart". I think we all know what I'm referring to here. And to be honest, it was really fun. Because Dordt and Northwestern were in Wal-Mart's backyard, much of the evening shift, namely 5-10 p.m., was made up of youngin's. And this youngin' worked in electronics which is the creme de le creme of department stores. Softlines, or clothes, was the worst. Oh Lord, I HATED that job. HATED IT. I lasted 7 months before taking a summer "leave of absence" to go nanny in East Hampton. Then I came back in the fall and demanded to be transferred to electronics. Or even cashier. I didn't care. Just get me out of here before I hang myself in a dressing room! Sam Walton obliged, and soon I was convincing customers why the Uniden cordless phone offers far better features than a Vtech or practicing my strict teacher-in-training voice with Mrs. Jane Doe as she tries yet again to scan a copyrighted photo on the Kodak printer. And every time she would scowl at me. Yeah, lady, because I'm the enemy here. Sheesh. I'm sure she eventually got her way and managed to come in on an evening when I, Kodak Printer Nazi, wasn't working and she was able to sweet talk some lil' trainy who didn't know any better.

Anywaaaaaaaaaaaay....

I used to do Halloween.

Check it out -


What...a picture perfect little family. And just look at those dice. Kudos to my mom for that genius idea.

To stay in the Halloween spirit, here is my list for today-

My favorite Halloween candy....

In order of preference -

- Milk Duds
- Skittles
- Milk Duds
- Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
- M&Ms
- Milk Duds
- Butterfingers
- Tootsie Rolls
- Milk Duds
- Kit Kats

I think it goes without saying that the houses with the little golden boxes containing four little nuggets of chocolaty-carameled goodness were my favorites. And then you had the town dentist who handed out toothbrushes every year. Mom always made us go there. Saved her a trip to the store, I guess. And it must of worked, because two of the three of us kiddos are still cavity-free. And that means only one thing...

I can keep eating Milk Duds.

Off to the store,

Ghetto Barbie

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe that Twix didn't make your list! BEST candy EVER!

    ReplyDelete