Here's Lynden today, April 22, 2013:
59 degrees. Blue skies. Buds blooming. Kids playing outside without jackets. It's glorious.
And here's Northwest Iowa today, April 22, 2013:
30 degrees. Snow. Ice. Broken branches.
Happy Spring, Iowa friends! You have my sympathy.
And about the time I was ready to cry for my family and friends stuck in the great white Midwest, I read this online:
"As South Dakotans spend another spring day digging out from up to a foot of snow, a mental health professional is recommending people take vitamins, remain active and escape through books to stave off depression."
There's more.
"She says people who struggle with depression and anxiety will be the most affected by long winters and a lack of sunlight. She recommends clients taken Vitamin D-3 pills and go tanning." *
Wait, what??? So, in the hopes of avoiding bouts of seasonal depression due to the late snowfall, this mental health "professional" is recommending that people put themselves at risk for skin cancer by going tanning?!
Please tell me I'm not the only one that is laughing out loud right now. Hilarious.
Sometimes I really miss Iowa.
xoxo
E
* Keloland.com
** Snow photo courtesy of The Sioux City Journal

And that my friend is why I left Iowa. In April the snow belongs in the mountains. I find it interesting that the therapist didn't recommend wine or something stronger. A mai tai and a tanning bed may be just the ticket...
ReplyDelete