I personally LOVE blue and white day.
Because jeans are blue. Comfy, comfy blue jeans. Unprofessional-looking blue jeans. The only thing better would be Sweatpants and Hooded Sweatshirt Day. I can also rock that look.
Here are my cherubs rockin' their own school spirit.

Hmmm....guess who forgot to dress in blue and white today? It's like Where's Waldo, except in the spirit of Single-Awareness Day on February 14th and the fact that she looks like a box of conversation hearts, we'll call it, 'Where's Cupid?" Cute as a button, that one.
Tomorrow is "Dress like your favorite book character" day. Oh boy. I'm boiling over with excitement. My first three years teaching, I dressed at Felicity, the American Girl.
Back in the day, I played football with my boys on Fridays. It became known as "Football Friday". Creative, I know. I'm sure Felicity played football with the boys at school, too. Just hike up those petticoats and get movin', girl.
Last year, I dropped the ball, and since I REFUSED to go as Felicity another year, I was forced to improvise. Hmmmm...what to be, what to be.
I had a couple of options:
1. Be a wet blanket and don't dress up at all.
Result = Set a bad example.
Conclusion = Must dress up.
2. Wear my everyday clothes and go as "Random Girl" in a "Random Story."
Result = Be bombarded with questions, 'Who are YOU supposed to be???"
Conclusion = Dress up as an actual person in an actual book.
3. Find an easy character that everyone can relate to that wore clothes that I already have in my closet.
Result = Spend no money, kids are happy.
Conclusion = Jack. Pot. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this plan.
Therefore, I went as.....drumroll...........brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......Fern. From Charlotte's Web. As opposed to Fern from Fern Gully. Though I don't think Fern from Fern Gully is an actual character's name, but rather a place. And since it's not "Dress up as your favorite place in a book" day, I couldn't go as Fern from Fern Gully anyway. But I digress.
Fern was easy peasy.
Jeans? Check.
Farmy-Westernly-looking shirt? Check.
Romeos? Check.
Pony tail holder? Check?
A cute, little, pink stuffed pig? Check.
A picture to document my E.B. White inspiration? No check. Oops.
This year, I have a plan. I was somewhat prepared. And it is going to be AWE-SOME. I took a different approach this year. I chose the book FIRST. Then the real fun began. Trying to find an outfit very close to what my character is wearing in the book. It's not as easy as one might think. Illustrators are not thinking about potential dress-up days when they illustrate their books. I may need to write some friendly letters regarding this subject.
Stay tuned for lots of pictures tomorrow.
Over and out.
We did the same...had the book and then got the outfit..thank goodness for Value Village. Hope tommorrow is FUN!
ReplyDeleteWhat? No Momma Walton?? What's up with that????
ReplyDeleteI do love those American Girls though!! I just checked out book one of Rebecca...the new girl!!!!
LOVE the blue and white day! Kinda strange, but I STILL can't buy any other color combo in "sporty clothes" for my kiddos. Seems sacrilegious or something. Yay for school spirit :)
ReplyDeletejust curious WHY you have a stuffed pig in your closet? that's freaking me out a bit.
ReplyDelete