Six years ago, I had this grandiose plan. After spending four summer during college nannying in East Hampton, New York, I had decided that I, Miss Emily Ghetto Barbie, wanted to move to the East Coast. And what a life it would be. I would find myself a quaint little apartment, teach as an apprentice at the school where the nanny cherubs attended school, and spend my evenings adrift in dreams of an East Coast lifestyle.
I had it all planned out. There would come a crisp, chilly fall morning. I would stop at the local Starbucks to grab my morning espresso. On my way out, I would accidentally bump into a very young and attractive investment banker. Prince Charming would ask for my number, we'd have dinner, and live happily ever after in a nice seven bedroom colonial home out in the Connecticut countryside. We'd spend our summers in East Hampton, I'd shop at stores named Calypso and Saks, and we'd spend every Christmas skiing in Aspen.
In March of 2005, I flew to New Canaan, Connecticut for an interview at the local country school. I loved it. I was ready to pack my bags. Or better yet, have my mommy send my plethora of clothes and picture frames via UPS.
Three days later, I flew back to Iowa. And that's when it happened. A very uneasy feeling crept in and settled in the pit of my stomach. And it stayed there. For days. Something just didn't feel right.
Fast forward one week.
I called the Head Master (yes, you read that correctly) at the country school and turned down the position. And then I sat there. Confused. Relieved. Worried. After all, it was already the end of March and I hadn't sent out any resumes or filled out a single job application. Being the picture of peace and serenity that I am, I didn't panic. Yet. And then I did. "What am I going to dooooooooooo?!?!" "This wasn't supposed to happen!!!!!!!!"
Fast forward 4 months.
I'm in Lynden, Washington. I have accepted a second grade teaching position at Lynden Christian School. Little did I know at that time just how much the little people at LC would change my life. And now, five years later, they continue to be the center of my universe. They're a constant in my life. Constantly making me smile. Constantly making me laugh. Constantly making me stress out. Constantly confirming my calling to be a teacher. And constantly reminding me of Christ's love for those of us who continually fall short of deserving His grace. It's a glorious feeling. One that I wouldn't change for anything. Not even a seven bedroom colonial house in Connecticut.
So, what am I thankful for today?
I'm thankful that though I may make my plans, God will always direct my steps.

And let's face it, people. His way is the best way.
I, for one, am THRILLED that you choose Lynden.
ReplyDeleteYou have brought much joy to our family.
Thanks for a great post.
Auntie
where's the LIKE button?!! love u.
ReplyDelete