Today I love….someone I do things with.

Leslie Jo!
Do you remember the Target story from a few years ago? You know, the day I became one of “those people”? I don’t get into that kind of hullabaloo alone, mind you. I have a sidekick.
We’re like Lucy and Ethel.
Linus and Lucy.
Romy and Michelle.
Calvin and Hobbes.
It’s rare in this life that you find a gal-pal who literally enjoys all the same things you do. We even do the same thing for a living. That’s actually where we met. I teach second grade; Leslie, third. She claims that she picks up my mess every year. Yes. Because that’s what I do. I purposefully send my cherubs down the wrong path to make things THAT much harder for the third grade teacher the following year. Nonetheless, I let her believe it. It makes her feel better. And that’s what friends do for each other. They allow their gal-pal to be blinded by delusion.
2. Groundhog Day
That blasted Phil saw his shadow. That means spring will be early. And THAT means it's time for Ghetto Barbie to hit the treadmill. Bigtime.
3. Wal-Mart Settlement
College is expensive. And while yours truly, here, worked her tail off during the summer, laying on the beach in the Hamptons, I discovered that if I wanted to have money to purchase those 5-Star notebooks and new jeans to kick off the fall semester, I needed to get a part-time job during the school year. And Wal-Mart it is! Now, before you judge me, let me assure you that the Wal-Mart in Sioux Center, Iowa, is nothing like the Wal-Mart in Bellingham or any other city where the Wal-Mart is the joke of the county. This Wal-Mart was cool, y’all. And lots of college and high school kids worked there. Work was never boring. Plus, my bestie, Amy, worked in the accounting office, so if I needed to escape from the prison that was “Softlines”, I could lock myself away with her for a few minutes. During my junior and senior years of college, I was “upgraded” to electronics. That was the life. I felt so powerful with my keys to the video game case. AND, the electronics counter shared a counter with sporting goods. I know, laugh it up. Me working in sporting goods. Anyway, working in sporting goods meant that I could –
1. Unlock the gun case (but not sell any because I wasn’t licensed)
2. Sell hunting and fishing licenses
AND....wait for it….
3. Mix paint. Because apparently painting is now a sport. Regardless, my point is, I was cool.
I could type Wal-Mart stories for hours, but today I’ll tell you just one.
Something happened in Iowa. At a Wal-Mart. Somewhere. I really don’t know where. But it happened.
There was lawsuit. And it was settled. And yesterday, I got a check in the mail. All because I was an hourly employee of Wal-Mart Stores in Iowa from June 5, 1999 to May 9, 2009.
The things I can do now. The possibilities are endless, really. I just can’t decide.
Perhaps I’ll let my faithful readers decide what I should do after I cash the check.
Just leave a comment and answer the following question:
“What should Ghetto Barbie do with $46.75?”
Thank you kindly.
$46.75 will go a long way toward changing your spring break airline ticket. I don't think you should go to Egypt. Very unsafe. Save yourself while you're still able... love you kiddo!
ReplyDeleteAnd remember Jesus isn't just in Israel. He'll be in Waikiki too.
$46.75 will buy your favorite gal pal somethin' pretty....just sayin'... :-)
ReplyDeletethe unrest in egypt makes me nervous too. i heard Jesus will be here in lynden too...working on pro-cert with some fantastic people...